Wednesday, 25 April 2012


Today, being a month before I was due to depart for Rockall on my 60 day occupation attempt, is the day I had written in the diary that I needed to have all the funding in place for the expedition. Unfortunately, the cash required has not been forthcoming, despite some very generous pledges from the likes of Petrostrat.

So, like so many other adventurers both this and last year, I have had to officially postpone the record breaking attempt for another year. However, I'm please to say that I will still be departing for Rockall at the end of May on a much shorter reconnaissance expedition. This will allow me to recce the rock, test kit and equipment, as well as attempt a landing and check out various aspects of Rockall itself, of which up until now I have had to rely on other people's descriptions.

I hope that this reconnaissance expedition will raise the profile of the main objective, that of setting a new occupation record in the future, especially as both The Scottish Sun and the BBC will be coming along for the ride! This will also hopefully bring the expedition to the attention of future sponsors, who can help with the funding for the next attempt.

I will shortly be launching a new website for the recce expedition, still at, so please watch that space. For now, thank you to all those companies who have already donated equipment or pledged their support.

No comments:

Post a Comment